Saturday, September 29, 2007

Isaiah 55:2 true nourishment

Good morning, all. Isaiah 55:2 (NASB) says "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance."
This verse hits me hard today. I don't think it is just talking about overspending our available money. I think it does refer to that, but also to how we spend our time - free time, etc. I think I have been robbing God. I need to spend more time reading His Word, praying, seeking his Will for my life and the lives of my husband and children, and investing in a future in Heaven. The treasures which I have been given -- Tom, Josh, Debbie, and Jenna - as well as my dear entire family - are worth far more than any earthly toy or book or extravagance.
For instance, some days I do not appreciate little Jenna enough. She is sometimes a little pistol and I just know that she is going to wake up any moment now because she went to bed at 5:30 pm last night - there goes my early morning "free" time. But that little girl is a treasure!
At the end of VBS (vacation bible school) this summer, one mom said that the best thing about VBS was ----- Jenna Vogt! She got to spend time w/her in the nursery and said it was a joyful time for her. Wow! My daughter blesses others! and she is only two years old!
Jesus, please forgive me for not appreciating her gifts. She is precious and ministers to others in a way that I cannot.
The other day I was talking to her and said, Jenna, "What does it say in the Bible: Though our sins be as scarlet, they will be made as white as....." and I tried to let her finish the sentence to see if she knew the answer, as she really does listen when Josh and Debbie are working on verse memorization. She looked at me and raised her arms triumphantly and answered, "GLUE!" (she had the right color - white!) I could not believe it.
Wednesday after school Logan was visiting and was having a snack with Jenna. Just for conversation, I said, Logan, how's it going? "Good." I said, How's your mom doing? "Good." I said, How's your mom's back? (Deb's back is giving her problems again). "Good." There was a short lull in this stimulating conversation and then Jenna looked at Logan and said, "How's your mom's FRONT?" ! the day before we had read "Paddington's Opposites" and I guess she learned front is the opposite of back!
Dear Lord, thank you for this precious jewel named Jenna. Thank you for all the precious jewels in this house. Help me to spend my time and money and availability and heart and emotions and spirit on them and on You instead of cheaper pursuits. For in them, I see Your face. Amen.

Until next time, Lisa

No comments: