Sunday, December 30, 2007

What is Love? A Heart....and other thoughts

1Cor. 13: 3-8a "If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Dear Lisa, in our busy lives we may not look terribly like a couple in love. In truth we do need to spend much more time together, but looking or reviewing these lines of love by Paul, I -- for one -- can say that my love is growing steadily for you. It may not be evident. It does say love is patient, but it also says that love is protection, trusting, hoping, and always perseveres. Love does not fail. The truth is that our love in all circumstances is God ordained and thus will never fail. I love you more today than when we were first married.

Dear Tom, Jenna has been known to say, "Love is a heart." Or, "Love is a hug." Perhaps the metaphor is generalized a bit in her nearly-three-year-old mind, but the essence of the image is good. We can show our love with a hug or by drawing a heart. Or, we can show our love by doing something undesirable for one another - such as taking out the trash or putting the dishes away or another chore that's "not my job". Love is sacrifice and doing things that might even HURT. It hurts to be kind to you when you are gone all day and you come home too tired to help out much around the house. It hurts to take the trash down that long, long driveway in the blinding wind and rain.

Writing these suggestions down even hurts. I don't want to do them. Dear Lord, I pray that you would soften my heart (Ezekiel 36:26) so that I will be willing to sacrifice my lazy desires. Help me to say "no" to "no" and say "yes" to "yes". Even when it hurts.

Love is a heart....all mangled and broken and smudged up...love is a hug.

No comments: