Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Psalm 34:1-4 He Delivers Us

Psalm 34: 1-4 I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

It says here that above all else the Lord is by far the most important thing that David has in his life and therefore he praises Him as such. He also boasts in this relationship; he is not quiet about it but rather he tells everyone. He especially tells the afflicted or those who do not know about Jesus. Then he asks those around him to join him in his praise and devotion to the Lord. He then describes that when he was in trouble or had problems he would seek out the Lord, and pray to him -- and that the Lord answered those fears and concerns. It doesn't say that David's life is smooth with no problems but the problems he does face he brings those issues before the Lord and his worries fade away and many of the problems eventually get solved.

We see this in our own lives, don't we -- which has been somewhat of a rude awakening. We tend to get shocked when "bad things" happen or when we go through trials of a sort. ("I thought my life as a Christian was supposed to be smooth sailing!") The Lord may not deliver us from our problems but He will deliver us from our fears. He answers our prayers.

Dear Lord, thank you that You hear us. Thank you for these Psalms. Thank you for reminding us through David that we need to praise your name. Thank you that You deliver us from our fears. All we need to do is rest in You. You are in charge and You know what's going on. You are surrounding us with your loving care and tender compassion. Thank you for that comfort. Amen.

No comments: