Monday, October 24, 2011

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...


I just read in a "book on journaling" that it's a good idea to keep a log of things your  kids said at the dinner table, as well as interesting things they've done.  We all intend to do these things, don't we?  We want to be good chroniclers of life events and "things my kids said" and we want to be excellent scrapbookers and excellent with the facebook postings.  But life goes by so fast for us, and I, myself, am not doing too well in this area.  So I decided that since I had a few minutes, I would just post a couple of things seen and heard around the Vogt house lately. 

Yesterday, Tom and I got to see Jenna at her sparring-best.  Tom took the "day off" from doing Children's Moments during the church service.  So Pastor Nick got the nod.  There was a small group of children and Nick had his hand-held microphone.  So he was asking the kids little popcorn-style quick questions.  Unfortunately or fortunately for him, Jenna was sitting right next to him on the stage and Matthew was sitting right next to her.  Poor Nick didn't know what hit him.  Jenna went toe-to-toe with him and even upstaged him a few times.  Tom and I were so proud of her.  Their back-and-forth "banter" went so quickly that I couldn't even take it down in shorthand.  Suffice it to say, our little 6 year old made our day.  Someone even stopped me in the parking lot and expressed her appreciation.  Thanks, Jenna! 

Recently the kids were doing their devotions with Tom.  Miss Erica writes the kids' devotionals, and now she is reviewing the Ten Commandments with the kids.   So as the kids were working on them the other day with Tom, and they were reciting the commandments, we were reminded of the very first time when the kids memorized the commandments.  Josh may have been six or seven years old; I cannot remember.  Anyway, when they got to the (fifth or sixth) commandment (not sure myself), Josh said, "Do not commit adoption."  We laughed so hard when he said that, but it was even funnier to report this to Deb, since she has gone through the adoption process for three of her kids.  She appreciated this one.  A lot.

Lastly, I was serving the kids a snack recently, and Kyle (age 10) was visiting.  Somehow we got on the topic of people's  names.  How sometimes a kid gets saddled with a weird first name or a lousy last name.  I said, "You know, you CAN get your name changed.  You don't have to keep it.  Does anyone know how to get their name changed legally?"  Kyle reported, "I think that you can, but I think you have to pay a lot of money and you have to get permission from, like, the President or something." 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.




No comments: