Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fun Aspects of Having a Six-Year-Old

Two nights ago, I was (as usual) sleepless at 2:30 a.m.  I have no idea why I have insomnia!  Give me a break!  I don't even drink coffee anymore (much).  There is a Starbucks in the building where I work, and I have been doing my best to avoid that temptation.  I work 12:30 to 5:30 pm, and the later I get over there for my usual, the better chance I have of being wide-awake all night.  So I'm doing really well with the avoiding-of-coffee thing.  I also have not had any "Polar Pops" from Circle K in months.  No Diet Coke, that's crazy, right? 
    Anyway, so there I was sleepless in Rootstown, just counting sheep and trying to go back to sleep (trust me, trying to go back to sleep never works).  All of a sudden, I hear this beautiful sound in the room.  oh -- I gotta back up.  Jenna had apparently come into our room after I fell asleep the first time.  (Oh, she RARELY comes into the parents' room!  ha!)  She was sprawled all over the bed in between Tom and me.   She's a broad sleeper, so to speak.   The sound I heard was just music to my ears.  Jenna was giggling and giggling, and then she just started outright laughing.  Having a grand ole' time in the middle of the night.  This really made me smile.  Then I started laughing.  It was an all-out laugh fest.  Actually, I think her laughter put me back to sleep, because I don't remember much after that.
    The next day, I said, "Jenna, you were laughing so much during your sleep!"  She said, "Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you.  I had a dream last night."   I guess she did not remember the dream's contents.  She just remembered that she had a dream.  
   I told her, "I loved hearing you laugh.  You just giggled and giggled.  Thank you for making my night.  There is nothing better than hearing a first grader giggle, especially in the middle of the night.  I love to hear you laugh."  She beamed. 
    Good times.

No comments: