Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Looking Up

Sometimes when you are in a pit, you need someone to pull you out. Right off the bat I am going to recommend Beth Moore's book, "Get out of that Pit." She talks extensively and experientially about how we get into a pit (of self destruction) and how we can get out of the pit.

I don't want to go on about Beth Moore today, that's for another day. This lady has taught me so much about the Bible I cannot even believe it. But I'll get into that some other time.

The other day I was on the treadmill and I was listening to a compilation of sermons sent gratis to me by Moody Radio, and I heard an excerpt of a sermon by Alistair Begg. It was called "Ropes to Rags." It was based on a text in the book of Jeremiah where the prophet has been thrown into some kind of pit. He really needs help getting out. And this big Ethiopian guy comes along and is going to pull him out, but it's going to hurt getting yanked up by this big dude. By the way this is in the book of Jeremiah, the 38th chapter, and our Ethiopian giant-with-a-tender-heart's name is Ebed-Melech. He is a Cushite.

So in verse 12 he tells Jeremiah, "Put these old rags and worn out clothes under your arms to pad the ropes." So Jeremiah takes the advice and Ebed and his helpers gently pull him out of the pit.

That's what I need when I am in the pit. I need someone who is strong but who is also gentle. Someone who can do the deed but who is compassionate about it. Getting out of a pit is not an easy thing and it's going to hurt. One needs help to get out of a pit, and one needs kindness to get out of a pit. Praise God for that Ethiopian, who could have just yanked him out and pulled his arm out of his socket, but he didn't. He provided a good lesson for me, both for when I am in the pit and also when someone I know is in a pit. Help 'em out, but be kind and gentle about it.

No comments: