Saturday, November 10, 2007

Broken Neck/Broken Body/Healed Heart

I am glad that children take things so literally. For them, it seems, the part is the same as the whole. This helps us to understand the verse that my kids learned in Awanas that says if you break one part of the law, you are guilty of breaking ALL of it. Maybe I am extrapolating the analogy incorrectly, but let me explain and see if these little cherubs do not show me a wisdom that I will never have.
As some of you know, I have struggled for a few years now with bulging disks in my cervical spine/"neck". After x-ray and MRI, it was treated with traction, heat, physical therapy and rest with a cervical pillow at night. Medications, by the way, do not help. At least did not help me. Anyway, the neck has been feeling better the past year. But -- prob'ly with the stress of homeschooling, etc., the ol' pain in the neck has resurfaced. This has put an end to the kids' practice of sitting on the back of the armchair while I read to all three. The method helps all 3 get a good view of the book, but the one at the back of the armchair inevitably ends up sliding down and basically sitting on my neck and straining it.
So lately I have been saying, don't sit on my neck please. I have told them that my neck is "broken" as the disks are "desiccated" (doctor's words) and breaking down. Mama's neck is broken so don't sit on it.
The allusion is almost here.
Last night I was reading to all three and Jenna wanted to be the one at the top of the armchair and she looked at me and said, "Mama, I promise I will not break your body."
I guess for her, if the neck is broken, the body is broken.
Well, mama's body is broken in more ways than the neck. But I appreciate her understanding of the situation. The damaged neck is not the only thing damaged in this fragile vessel of mine. The body will continue to wear down.
But my soul! My heart! My hope! It continues to be resurrected -- as I grow older in body! My spirit stays young! How grateful I am for Josh, Debbie and Jenna. They are teaching me!! They teach me the Bible! Not by their earthly wisdom or experience but by their mere innocence. They see and read and hear things literally. For them, the part is the same as the whole. May this innocence of theirs last. May I, the chief of sinners, keep being able to learn from God through them and all other gifts God has bestowed mercifully on undeserving me.
Tom's message to me lately in his email'd devotions has been to exhort me to praise God first thing in the morning. As soon as I wake up, I am to praise God. Soon I will be passing along some more of Tom's devotionals.
If anyone wants to learn about continual, lifelong praise, they could read Spurgeon's The Practice of Praise. Woke up this morning and started in on it for the 2nd day and it is revitalizing my heart. Praise God in the morning ! Praise God at night! In the morning praise him for his lovingkindness; in the evening praise God for his faithfulness. He is loving AND kind; and at the end of the day (or end of our life) we see that he has indeed been faithful.
One example, it is comforting to re-read verses and passages and see that the God of my youth is the same God of my middle age. I told the kids, "I read these same passages and learned them and memorized them as a child - and they have not changed! God is faithful! he does not change!" How comforting to know that in a world that is consistently fickle. We may change our minds hour by hour or minute by minute, but He does not. He is the same. Those verses learned at age 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7, will be the same verses at midlife and later.
Lord, one of the best things you have done for me is let me help with Awanas. I am learning right along with the 3 year olds. I am sitting on the floor next to them and I look up at THEM. Little children are blessings.
Praise You Lord!
Until next time, love, Lisa

No comments: