Monday, November 12, 2007

The Dichotomy of Life

From Tom:
First, the praises and thanksgiving.
We are blessed daily with the early-morning awakening of delightful Jenna and the subsequent awakening of our two other angelic children, Josh and Debbie. How fresh and fluffy they look when they get up, all full of promise and expectancy for the day. Our praise today is : thanks to our circumstances that we have the opportunity to be with them 24 hours a day (Tom when he gets home) and be the recipients of these joy-filled gifts from God. Too many adults don't get the joy of holding a small child.
Psalm 119:73-77 Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands. May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O Lord, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have afflicted me. May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. Let your compassion come to me that I may live for your law is my delight.

Now, the other side, of the realities of day to day life .....

This is sort of the process we are going through. First we know what God's laws are. Be a servant, be humble, be meek, be generous with good cheer, be kind, do not exasperate your children, take care of the needs of others, do not worry, do not bear grudges, forgive others as I first forgave you, Love others as I first loved you etc.
These are all fine qualities but when real life occurs it is hard to willingly put these into practice. It is hard when you have only had five hours of interrupted sleep to be rejoiceful and pleasant to your children when all three are asking for snacks right after the meal where they have refused to consume it. It is hard to be nice and not yell when the three kids and three dogs are all fighting and have totally messed up the house. It is hard not to be bitter towards your spouse when they are not helping in the daily housework and are doing something with their friends while you are still in charge of the house and kids after already doing this task for the last ten hours. So Lord as it says here allow your unfailing love to enable us to overcome life's ugly details and help us to have your heart and mind in dealing with these situations that seem to be far above our ability to deal with.
Sincerely, Tom

No comments: