Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 7 - That Giant Thorn in the Flesh

The Giant Thorn in the Flesh

Scripture Reading: "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure". I Corinthians 12:7

Writing today’s devotional was difficult. I think of a thorn in the flesh as a bad habit, an annoying “thing” that just won't go away. And I find bad habits very hard to break. They are hard for me to admit them to others, as well. But whatever the thorn in our flesh may be – whatever it is that you or I may struggle with – let us take heart that the Lord knows about it and He can help us with it.

As we see in the above verse, the apostle Paul says that “there was GIVEN TO ME a thorn in the flesh” to keep him from being exalted above measure. It was given to him. The thorn was given to him to keep him humble, in other words. Every time he started thinking that the sun shone greater on his part of the world, he got that little stab in the side that reminded him that he was human just like the rest of us – a sinner saved by grace.

Theologians have surmised what was the specific thorn in Paul’s flesh. No one knows for sure. Was it a real thorn – an actual foreign body – embedded in his flesh – or was it an emotional thorn – a weakness – or something else? The thorn generally seems to represent that area in our lives where we are prone to stumbling in our walk with Christ.

One of my thorns in the flesh (and I have many) is related to popcorn. Before you laugh, I’ll explain. When my six sisters and I were growing up, our mom made popcorn on Sunday nights while we watched Walt Disney on television. Well, with seven kids, there was never enough popcorn to go around. It was “grab-it-and-stuff-it-into-your mouth.” I never got to the bowl first, it seemed.

Fast forward 30 years and here is what Tom said to me just recently: “I do believe popcorn is your favorite food.” This was as he watched me dive headfirst into the bowl of popcorn and not come up for air for ten minutes.

Ouch. I am embarrassed just writing about it. How many times have my kids said, “Mom, is there any more popcorn?” and I have to admit I ate it all. Perhaps you're thinking, “Lisa, it’s just popcorn. Just make more.” But it’s more than that, isn’t it? Let’s be honest, it’s really the feeling that “I gotta get there first or I’ll get left behind. I won't get any.” I do believe that over the years, this disappointment at being last in line for the popcorn has, in my heart, given birth to resentment and bitterness. Like a stain, this has spread into other areas, in which I sort of got to life’s “bowl of popcorn” last and got stuck with just the duds and the salt. And that thorn in my side has festered and burned as the salt got into the wound.

Does this line of thinking parallel Christ’s thinking? Hardly. Will he leave me behind? No, I’m His child and He loves me. However: can I use this thorn in my flesh – this fear of getting only life’s dud kernels – for God’s glory? You bet I can. It says above that the thorn was given to Paul to prevent him from exalting himself too much. It kept him humble. That giant bowl of popcorn will keep me humble because it represents my thorn of needing to grab first in order that I won't be the last. How pleased will my Lord be if I let someone else go first and I go last instead!

Prayer: Oh God, I know that you understand my fear of being left behind, of being last in line. I know that your word says that “the last shall be first and the first shall be last” (Matthew 20:16). Help me to turn my day over to you moment by moment so that each activity becomes an act of worshipping You first. Sanctify my daily activities so that everything I do is in consideration of pleasing You, Lord.

Slay that Giant: Make a journal entry regarding a habit you wish to break. Give it over to God and watch Him work that thorn out of your flesh.

No comments: