Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Those Giant Stormy Seas of Life

Day 5 Those Giant Stormy Seas of Life

Scripture Reading: Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown! He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and said, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the sea obey him!" Matthew 8:23-27

Do the stormy seas of life tend to drown your spirit? Do you lack the spiritual strength to stand on mountains? Do you have an insatiable hunger for something that threatens to engulf you? Today we battle the giant that we call the “stormy seas of life.” This giant could actually be the weather itself, or it could be the metaphorical “weather of life” with all of life’s storms, the winds of change that toss us to-and-fro spiritually, and circumstances which, like a blizzard or a white-out, can blind us to the truth of Jesus Christ.

We can get so disoriented by the shifting sands of others’ opinions or beliefs that we can just take a real nosedive ourselves, can't we? It’s kind of like what happened to John Kennedy Jr. several years ago, when the plane he was flying got caught in some haze upon his descent to Martha’s Vineyard. He was not trained to fly by the controls and had to fly by sight – unfortunately he could not see the ground because of the ground cover! He got disoriented and thought “up” was “down” and he, his wife and their traveling companion perished when the plane crashed.

We get disoriented too, don’t we? The stormy seas of life can make maneuvering very treacherous for us. So let’s reflect for a moment on the Great Enemy of the Giant of Stormy Seas. It’s the very Hands of Jesus Christ – who calms the seas and makes the trees bow down to Him.

Today we reprint the lyrics from that beautiful song, “You Raise Me Up.” Consider these words as you prayerfully ask the Lord to remain constant throughout the storms of your life, whether they be situational, interpersonal, or spiritual. Praise God as we allow His loving arms to “raise us up” to more than we can be.

You Raise Me Up (lyrics by Brendan Graham)

When I am down, and oh, my soul, so weary – When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then I am still – and wait here in the silence. Until you come – and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up – so I can stand on mountains. You raise me up to walk on stormy seas.
I am strong – when I am on your shoulders. You raise me up – to more than I can be.

There is no life – no life without this hunger. Each restless heart – beats so imperfectly
But when you come – and I am filled with wonder – Sometimes I think – I glimpse eternity.

You raise me up – so I can stand on mountains. You raise me up – to walk on stormy seas
I am strong – when I am on your shoulders. You raise me up – to more than I can be.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for raising us up to more than we can be. Thank You for never leaving us through the storms of life. Help us to defeat this giant! We cannot change the weather or life’s unexpected storms, but we can ask you to hold us up, to help us stand on mountains, and to give us a better foothold – because we’re standing in your footprints, and resting in your arms. Amen.

Slay the Giant: Stormy weather can be treacherous, but it also reflects the power of a mighty God. As winter bears down on us and threatens never to leave, look outside and consider how beautiful this snowy season can be. Get a magnifying glass, go out and scoop up some snow, and look at a pinch of snow through the glass to get a glimpse of those individual snowflakes. God made every one of them different and unique. How amazing is our God!

If it is spring or summer when you read this, check out a group of tall trees during a storm. Watch how they bend and wave during the storm. Their roots are strong and deep. They know who their maker is. All of nature during a storm – the winds – the trees – it is as if they are all genuflecting – bowing – in obedience and worship to their Lord! Praise God! Even the winds obey him!

No comments: