Monday, May 11, 2009

The Giant of Approval from Others

Scripture Reading: “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we might be called the children of God! And that is what we are!” I John 3:1

Do you care too much about what others think of you? Do you need to be accepted by other people in order to feel good about yourself? Are you sort of “addicted” to approval? These are tough questions to consider.

Joyce Meyer has an interesting book called Approval Addiction. If you were to read it, you might end up thinking (like I did) that you need some kind of “approval intervention”! I just identified with so many areas in which we seem to crave others’ approval. If I had to play a tape recorder of my mind’s thoughts as I go about my insecure day, it might sound like: “Why did that person look at me that way? Is my sweater a bad color? Is my hair the wrong color? I don’t think that person likes me. I don’t even think my husband likes me very much right now. I don’t think my kids like me. And I know for a FACT that I don’t like me right now. Why didn't so-and-so call me back? Maybe she is mad at me. Maybe I said something that hurt her feelings. Why did that other person say …..” and on and on.

As the giant of approval accuses me of being not worthy for others’ approval, what gets drowned out is that clear message from my Lord and Savior that He gave me in I John 3:1 – how GREAT is the LOVE my Heavenly Father has lavished on me – that I might be called the child of God! And that is what I AM! I am a child of God – chosen, made, created, and loved – by my Heavenly Father. He made me – He knows me – He understands me – He accepts me – just as I am. Now, He loves me too much to want me to stay in this pit of approval addiction, so He gently nudges at me through the Holy Spirit. “I love you, Lisa. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are my child. Rest in that.”

Didn’t you just love it when your parents were proud of you for something you did? Wouldn't you have just loved it even more if your parents would say, “No matter what – we love you. We think you're GREAT!” That’s our Lord. He says that too. He says that to ALL of His children. He loves us because He made us, not because of good things we have done, but because we are His workmanship.

So why would I succumb to that giant – that nasty voice that says others don’t approve of me? Don’t we do this? Don’t we all seem to require that our circle of friends love and approve of us? Take heart, friends, for we have approval from the only One whose approval we require: God our Heavenly Father.

Prayer: Lord, I know you love me. Help me to believe that! Help me to know that Your love is so great that it doesn’t matter one stitch what another person may think of me. Your approval is all I need. And You give it to me through the Bible and through Your Holy Spirit. Thank You! Thank you for making me the way you did. Help me to be content in your Heavenly approval of me.

Slay the Giant: Just once today try to resist the urge to ask for someone else’s opinion or approval on something about yourself. Turn instead to the Lord in prayer and ask Him to guide you in this search for approval. See what happens!

No comments: