Monday, October 1, 2007

Fruit of the Spirit

Galatians 5:22-23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control.

Lately my devotional readings have shed better light on this passage so that I can understand it. For example, if I do not have self-control (or patience, or kindness, whatever) it means that I do not have that fruit of the spirit. Why not? Why does one not bear fruit? Well, then you must go to: "I am the vine, you are the branches; if you abide me in me and I abide in you, then you will bear much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." So the fruit/tree/branch/root analogy applies. (some of you may be thinking, how could she have never gotten this yet? She's 45 years old!)
But sadly it's true. I am realizing now that if I am to bear fruit, which would be to be more patient, more kind, have more self control over my tongue, other areas.....I have to be truly abiding in the vine, the source of my life. I have to build strong roots. I have to be fed and watered (fed by the Word, sprinkled with the Holy Spirit). I have to allow my dead branches to be pruned (painful disciplining process but necessary). Unless the seed goes into the ground (unless self dies), it will not grow and bear fruit. This metaphor explains it so clearly but I hate it when my branches get pruned. It hurts. I don't always want to abide in the Vine b/c I'd rather do things my own way. But it's clear what the Lord says needs to happen in order to grow spiritually. We have to be obedient.
Until next time, Love, Lisa

No comments: