Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Kidz-Say-The-Darnedest-Things-at-Sunday-School

I am continuing to be flummoxed by the intellectual superiority of little children. They ask the loftiest questions! Last week in Sunday School (2 to 4 year olds) I showed the little munchkins the short video they were to watch (it was about Jesus performing miracles) and then asked them the questions that were on the curriculum list. This is always an enjoyable time and these little ones listen alot better than you'd think they would. Jenna, for instance, understood that Moses turned the river's water into blood and that he made the staff turn into a snake and then back again. She even remembered it weeks later because we had a little baby named "River" visit the nursery one day, and I said, Jenna this is River, and she said, "Oh, River turns into blood!" my oh my
anyway, last Sunday, I was asking the children questions about the video, and was trying to get them to say "miracles" - it came out "merkels" - I was pleased - and then little one little girl (age 4) just looked at me and said, "Well, just who IS God?" I stumbled over some answer, felt very foolish, and then she pressed me further: "Well, what does he LOOK LIKE?" It is so hard to answer these questions. You just feel like you won't do the question any justice. I was very close to just stopping the whole session and running and getting the Pastor to come in and ponder these questions with the kids. I said, "well, I think it's time for snack. Shall we?" Phew! Got out of that one! I felt humbled and humiliated and just so totally blessed all at the same time. These kids bring me to my KNEES.
And then there's Jenna. Last night I was reading to her at night and trying to get her to settle down and we had talked earlier about a little girl who had lost her mom and I said, I hope you and I don't ever lose each other and she said, "No, I'm not gonna lose you; you're my MOMMY and I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!" and she beamed at me. She just melts my heart.
Thank you, Praise you, Dear Jesus, for these little lambs. When I look at these little angels I see You. I certainly see you alot clearer when I look at children than when I obsessively clip coupons or fastidiously check the ads for grocery store bargains. Help me to get my mind unwrapped from these worldly distractions and get back on to worshipping and praising you, The King of Kings. I see more clearly that we all tend to worship or copy or become "like" something or someone else. It is our nature to copy or conform. But "do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind...." "that way you will know God's good and perfect will for you." Lord please transform my mind by what I see and what I look at and what I listen to each day. I pray that my ears and eyes and heart will be tuned into You through the Bible and through your little messengers that surround me all day long - my children.
Until next time, Lisa

No comments: