Monday, October 15, 2007

Suffering

I read yesterday that God used suffering to teach Paul dependence on Him, and also to show that individual suffering has corporate value: we can comfort others based on our own experience of being comforted by God. Christ suffered immeasurably more than anyone of us will suffer. He bore the sins for all humanity. Every last one of us! It's amazing. "Suffering" has been a watchword for me lately as I have struggled with this latest toothache. When you have pain, it seems like that's all you can think about. You just can't concentrate on anything else! You think that people can see the pain on you even though it's invisible. Help me! You cry. Help! Anything! I'll do anything to make this go away! And you're so relieved when the pain relief comes -- you're just so happy. Just think, Jesus got no relief from His pain. He was doing what God asked him to do - die for all of us. No Advil, no aspirin, no cloves, no anesthetic. I think of the desperation I feel for relief from this pain, and I can hardly imagine what Christ went through for us. Thank you Lord for bearing the sins and pain for us. Thank you for this unspeakable gift. Thank you for my toothache because the pain helped me to think on you and to meditate upon your goodness.
Until next time, Lisa

No comments: