Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thy Word Have I Hid in my Heart

This posting is my free advertisement for AWANAs. If you go on Wednesday night to AWANAs with your kids, and/or if you work with your kids on their verses every day, YOU will get a reward too! The kids get jewels and AWANA dollars, but they also maybe don't realize that they, and whoever is working with them, get the word of God planted in their hearts! That is better than any jewel or money! I have been helping with the Cubbies. Every week that I make it to Cubbies, I sit there transfixed as the leader shows the kids the Bible, opens it up, and says "I love my Bible - it's God's Holy Word!" and gets them excited about reading and learning the Bible. She is doing an incredible thing! I sit there and learn the verses along with the little ones because (sadly) it took me to age 45 to realize that the most important thing I can do with my mind is to fill it with Scripture's promises. I am woefully behind on my verse memorization. I need a bigger bank of verses to draw from when times get tough. I need to get more verses buried/hid in my heart, so that I might not sin against God.
When my kids easily memorize verses, it helps me to see that this is the time "NOW IS THE TIME" to bury the Word in your heart. As we get older it is harder to memorize. But that's okay and my kids are teaching me how to memorize. Debbie learned all the books of the New Testament in two weeks! How - we made a song of it, sing-song, la-di-da, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians Colossians..... she learned it so fast. Then when Sunday came and the pastor said, turn to Philippians .... I sang the song to myself and found the book of Philippians much faster. Wow!
Dear Lord, this is Clergy Appreciation Month. Thank you for our Pastors, for our AWANA teachers, for our children's director, for all ministers and teachers of your Word. Thank you for leading them so that they may lead us to see your ways. Thank you for their sacrifice. They are poured-out offerings.
Until next time, Love Lisa p.s. Tom is about to join the blog here - any time soon - he will be adding his inspiring thoughts. I know you will be encouraged. He has been praying for me and sending me devotionals from the Psalms - encouraging me to PRAISE GOD in every situation! One day recently it was really, really bad at home - the puppies were pooping everywhere in the house, Jenna was being potty trained and it wasn't going very well (ahem), just a bunch of you know what everywhere - that night I said to Tom, tell me, how am I supposed to praise God that I had to deal with THAT all day today? He reminded me that, well, for one thing, these dogs give us a lot of love, they teach the kids how to be sweet and kind, they give us unconditional love, they are very forgiving, and then by sacrificing a clean house, at least our kids are AT HOME where they belong, and mom is cleaning up after them, and teaching them every step of the way. The dogs are able to run these 5 acres, the kids are able to run around outside in the fresh air, we have this incredible beautiful space to be caretakers of, and pets and children make us happy! So we clean it up and forget about it.
When you put it that way, it's not so bad.

1 comment:

Tom and Lisa Vogt said...

Commenting on my own post.... I did not finish that thought about praising God. PRAISE GOD for all that you have given us! If we lived in an apartment we could not even HAVE the dogs. They might even limit us to two children!!! Tom is prob'ly praising God that we are down to one cat!!! That's because of all the dogs !!!!